I have a large heavy drive-away awning that works very well and I use that when we travel with the boys and they sleep in that. But, when there are just the two of us … well, it’s a bit of a palaver. So I looked for something that I could use with our roll-out canopy and without it if I want to leave a standalone awning or if it is just too windy to risk £500 worth of aluminium and pvc canvas!
I looked at the quecha base seconds – but just couldn’t get my head around using it with my existing kit.
This arrangement gives me three configurations (numbers match picture numbers below):
Sun canopy attached to side channel (on rollout awning)
Sun room using sun canopy and attached as above (#1)
Drive away awning using #2 above plus an attached tarp and a candor strip to de-couple the awning from the bus (the attachment clips are clip on grommets).
Attach the sides and front of the sun-room to the roll-out awning using velcro tapes
I think I now have all the canopy combinations and permutations I need for travelling light – and at a price that is half the price of the specific, add-on sides and front for the roll-out awning. I’ll report back after our next trip!
I am involved in a lot of activities that are in many ways similar to Bush Craft but are more Urban than Bush so a better collective term for all that I am doing is Urban Craft. Many of my activities may appeal to others:
– Self Health Management: what are the best and most enjoyable ways of staying healthy, keeping fit, eating well and de-stressing aka mindfulness, Tai Sabaki.
– Enjoying my Environment: making the best of where I am and what I can readily do: Canoeing, Camper-vaning, Camping, Cycling, Walking, Photography
– Portfolio Working: Working in a way that is fulfilling and helpful – using my skill base to assist others.
–Urban Survival/ Self Sufficiency: for me not what happens when (and if) disaster happens, but what can I pro-actively do to reduce my dependence on other organisations and reduce my footprint.
– Continual Learning: Looking at learning at every opportunity
– Great Toys: Enjoying technology, quality toys and tools